jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
JDrama Cliches
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcmodem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: JDrama Cliches Reply with quote Back to top

Have noticed some cliches in Doramas:

1. Characters get into romantic arguments and one of them runs away, out into the street. Usually it's at night.

2. Some character has a serious desire to going to the USA, or already has been there. Usually it's about going to New York City.

What cliches have you noticed?
-PCM
ultranguik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

teacher x go to Y school where all the students are really bad, teacher x whose background is as bad as them teach them abt life, teacher x solve their problem one by one, character per character (doh,... to many gto wannabee)

and all the 'waterboys ' have the same cliche
eightysix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you guys ever noticed when the main character is in a pinch and needs to get somewhere QUICK, they run there! Maybe they wanted to emphasize that this is a pivotal moment in the story, but come on, is that realistic? I never understood that one quiet well.
Master Pivot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In just about every dorama, someone ends up in the hospital for some reason or other...
dochira

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eightysix wrote:
Have you guys ever noticed when the main character is in a pinch and needs to get somewhere QUICK, they run there! Maybe they wanted to emphasize that this is a pivotal moment in the story, but come on, is that realistic? I never understood that one quiet well.

If they are riding a taxi (or other vehicle), it always ends up in traffic (not surprising in Tokyo). And they always decide to get out and run to their destination. See above.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dochira wrote:
If they are riding a taxi (or other vehicle), it always ends up in traffic (not surprising in Tokyo). And they always decide to get out and run to their destination. See above.

That not just a Dorama cliche: it happens in Hollywood movies as well... Sleepless in Seattle comes to mind. Smile
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Very, very good. Reply with quote Back to top

See, now . . . if JDorama had "awards," this thread, created by pcmodem (kudos, BIG, BIG kudos to you, sir; you deserve to meet the girl of your dreams for starting this thread. May it happen for you this year) would easily be nominated, and be strong in the running for, "best new thread."

Because this thread might go on for a length of time Victory! Peace! .

Here's my FIRST contribution (and, respectfully continuing the theme of "hospital" recently offered, above):

If a character -- usually a mid-major character in a series -- gets laid up in the hospital, and s/he's talking to another character and suddenly starts coughing or anything for his/her condition to change, AND THE EKG is panned over to by the camera, guarans ball-bearins, THAT mid-major character laid up, WILL DIE complete with a the flatline on the EKG screen.

------------B-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-P----------------------------------.

Thanks again, pcmodem.

Last edited by The Man on Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:02 am; edited 5 times in total
MixxDreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Master Pivot wrote:
In just about every dorama, someone ends up in the hospital for some reason or other...
true. but not compared to kdramas, its pretty common for them. Rolling eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If a person needs to earn money fast, usually for part-time job, they end up in constructions site.
blakmetalik

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a cliche: if a main character is walking alone to whatever destination from wherever, the person they've been avoiding (or want to avoid) either coincidentally happens to be on the same path/street, OR better yet, that person is actually WAITING for them on the same path/street, and then some kind of confrontation ensues.

How this person could predict the main character would be pass by at that exact moment in that particular place beats me. Hope somebody knows what I'm talking about here, because I'm not sure if I explained it clearly. Smile
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Aw, come on, ya'll's . . . this topic is worthy! It is WORTHY, hahah. Contribute Dancing ! Contribute!

Allow me to be the first to contribute a specific clich� . . . from taiga dorama.

Ahem.

A character, among an ensemble [which is ALSO obligatory for taiga doramas, it seems], in an episode in which he (it IS usually a "he" isn't it?) is slated to commit seppuku, will be allowed THE most dialogue and screen time relative to that which he had previously enjoyed thus far in the series.

Examples: NHK's Chushingura, Koki Mitani's Shinsengumi!.
Doramafan113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How about when the main male lead or the main female lead does not realize they are in love with the other until it seems to be too late. Seen it a 100 times but it can still be done very well.
Saburo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: #1 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, here's one:

Boy loves girl
Girl loves boy.

However, Boy's best friend is also in love with Girl. So to faciliate the matchmaking, Boy tells Girl that he loves someone else in a dopey attempt to drive her away.

Much crying ensues.
pcmodem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

blakmetalik wrote:
Here's a cliche: if a main character is walking alone to whatever destination from wherever, the person they've been avoiding (or want to avoid) either coincidentally happens to be on the same path/street, OR better yet, that person is actually WAITING for them on the same path/street, and then some kind of confrontation ensues.

How this person could predict the main character would be pass by at that exact moment in that particular place beats me. Hope somebody knows what I'm talking about here, because I'm not sure if I explained it clearly. Smile

Are you kidding? That happens in just about EVERY dorama! Doh! hehe

Good point, thanks.
-PCM
Saburo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: #2 Reply with quote Back to top

Girl goes to see Guy.

Girl sees Guy hanging out with another girl (not the Official Girlfriend). Girl assumes otherwise and gets pretty damn upset.
pcmodem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tejizo wrote:
If a person needs to earn money fast, usually for part-time job, they end up in constructions site.

Yeah... for guys, they work construction in order to make money in a hurry... for example, they did that in My Little Chef.

For the ladies, to make money in a hurry, they always work at hostess bars. They did that in Oyaji, Otousan, and Refrain.
-PCM
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: #2 Reply with quote Back to top

Saburo wrote:

Girl goes to see Guy.

Girl sees Guy hanging out with another girl (not the Official Girlfriend). Girl assumes otherwise and gets pretty damn upset.

Hahaha, yes, YESSSS, THIS IS what I am talkin' 'bout!

And THEN girl gets habuteru (Fukada Kyoko shows this nicely, with her pouting mouth, and "kawai so is me"-class whining Shameful Cry Victory! Peace! .).
pcmodem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Very, very good. Reply with quote Back to top

The Man wrote:
See, now . . . if JDorama had "awards," this thread, created by pcmodem (kudos, BIG, BIG kudos to you, sir; you deserve to meet the girl of your dreams for starting this thread. May it happen for you this year) would easily be nominated, and be strong in the running for, "best new thread."

Because this thread might go on for a length of time Victory! Peace! .

Here's my FIRST contribution (and, respectfully continuing the theme of "hospital" recently offered, above):

If a character -- usually a mid-major character in a series -- gets laid up in the hospital, and s/he's talking to another character and suddenly starts coughing or anything for his/her condition to change, AND THE EKG is panned over to by the camera, guarans ball-bearins, THAT mid-major character laid up, WILL DIE complete with a the flatline on the EKG screen.

------------B-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-P----------------------------------.

Thanks again, pcmodem.

You're welcome, I try to think of topics that will make interesting conversation for everyone. Bonk

Yeah, the EKG flatlining in a hospital happens a lot, even if they don't show the EKG. They did that in Yamato Nadeshiko.
-PCM
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Very, very good. Reply with quote Back to top

pcmodem wrote:
You're welcome, I try to think of topics that will make interesting conversation for everyone. Bonk

And you do, sir. You do. Now . . . if we can only see what you LOOK like, ahhaha (I should talk!).

Man . . . this topic if versatile. You can even MAKE A FRIGGIN' GAME, too! Lemme try a little something . . .

. . . I'm thinking of something that specifically fills in the following blank. I have no prizes to give, except for a "you're correct! Good for you!"

See if you can complete the following (there ARE hints, by the way):

At some point, usually near the end of the dorama, the ___________________________ tends to accompany a character desperately running down the street.

Yeah. This one's easy.
fayenatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 Reply with quote Back to top

The Man wrote:

Hahaha, yes, YESSSS, THIS IS what I am talkin' 'bout!

And THEN girl gets habuteru (Fukada Kyoko shows this nicely, with her pouting mouth, and "kawai so is me"-class whining Shameful Cry Victory! Peace! .).

Haha, offtopic but I do think that's her trademark. She's so cute! ^_^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: