jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Japan - News/General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 163, 164, 165  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahochaude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Per PM with kintaro_kun, this topic will be moved back to General forum as the main focus of this topic is not on Japanese language, however on the general "university life and experiences" in Japan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i'm wondering which unis in japan are good for economics? does tokyo daigaku monopolise every subject? everytime i watch doramas the characters( the japanese in general) always put tokyo daigaku in high esteem.i'm afraid that living cost in tokyo/kanto is too high Puppy Dog Eyes . is there any uni in, maybe osaka, kyoto area that is good in econs?
dochira

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kintaro_kun wrote:
i'm wondering which unis in japan are good for economics? does tokyo daigaku monopolise every subject? everytime i watch doramas the characters( the japanese in general) always put tokyo daigaku in high esteem

That's just the perception in Japan, much like it's Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and others, are thought as excellent universities in the US.
kintaro_kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ya, but the weird thing is, most of the famous unis in usa are of the ivy league unis, they are private, right? doesnt usa have any state unis that are just as excellent too?

uni of tokyo is good and popular, but arent private ones like waseda or keio good too? i rarely hear of waseda and keio in the spotlight....
ahochaude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Google can help, perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kintaro_kun wrote:
ya, but the weird thing is, most of the famous unis in usa are of the ivy league unis, they are private, right? doesnt usa have any state unis that are just as excellent too?

Off the top of my head, UC Berkeley is one of the better public universities in the US.

kintaro_kun wrote:

uni of tokyo is good and popular, but arent private ones like waseda or keio good too? i rarely hear of waseda and keio in the spotlight....

They are also good as well.

Now, how does the public vs. private institutions work in Japan? Is it harder (more difficult extrance exams, for example) to get into Waseda as opposed to Tokyo University or the other prefectural universities? I'm not sure.
kaosrave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I my self have always questioned what kintaro kun has. Thank you for bringing up this Topic. Hi my name is t-lak i have been on this forum for quite some time but i really never got involved in the community, sorry for that. My plan is to finish university over here then move to japan as an engineer. Can somone who has experience please tell me whether i should study here or finish my university over there. Also, i am starting japanese lessons this september and i am 16, so im guessing by the time i hit university i wont have THAT much trouble speaking, but ill get use to it. So does anyone know how i may be able to continue life there as an aerospace engineer? Thank you.
dochira

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kaosrave wrote:
So does anyone know how i may be able to continue life there as an aerospace engineer? Thank you.

Not sure about the aerospace program in Japan. One would think that the US and Russia would be better locations for an aerospace engineer, but I'm not too entirely certain.
kintaro_kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

is aerospace engineering the field where people build airplanes or space ships?
for all i know the japanese space industry has been lagging for these couple of decades, even china is more succesful than its neighbour in this field. since you're in canada, why not pursue aerospace in the states?
kintaro_kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
Google can help, perhaps?

how can google help in determining which type of uni(public or private) is better than the other?all it shows are the prospectus and what the unis say bout themselves.
nickel56

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hey, i'd love to get more information on this too, great thread!
i'm an engineering student too =) current studying mech. eng. in a local uni
and i wish to go to Japan for the Students Exchange Program
any recommendation besides Tokyo Uni?
kaosrave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kintaro_kun wrote:
since you're in canada, why not pursue aerospace in the states?

this might sound silly, but ive always wanted to live in japan and i want to take up engineering there, even thought they are lagging in this industry, i wont have many competition to face and i have a chance of making the industry compete with other countries. LOl just a little fantasy i have, BUT ito get back on topic, im thinking of either electrical engineering or aerospace engineering. one of those two.
Ororo_munroe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
kaosrave wrote:
this might sound silly, but ive always wanted to live in japan and i want to take up engineering there, even thought they are lagging in this industry, i wont have many competition to face and i have a chance of making the industry compete with other countries. LOl just a little fantasy i have, BUT ito get back on topic, im thinking of either electrical engineering or aerospace engineering. one of those two.

I understand how you feel.... me too... i've studied mechatronics engineering in my own country and rite now i'm trying to have my master in japan.... at this moment Tokyo Daigaku is opening their admission for mechanical, electrical and electronics engineering for non-Japan students... in case you're interested....
I'm currently interested in Uni of Electro Communication... but I'm unsure if they are open for admission....
well... by the way, they always ask for study plan... is it the same with research proposal... as it's hard for me to find any samples of study plan..
kintaro_kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ororo_munroe wrote:

I'm currently interested in Uni of Electro Communication... but I'm unsure if they are open for admission....
well... by the way, they always ask for study plan... is it the same with research proposal... as it's hard for me to find any samples of study plan..

i think monbukagakusho has supplies of guide books printed by association of international education, japan(aiej) in the embassy. i've got one myself, but i got it through an education fair. the guide states that aiej has offices in kuala lumpur, can you make it there?
regarding to UEC admission, check this site http://www.uec.ac.jp/nyusyu/index.html. its specific for the graduate school, the one you're interested, i guess.
Ororo_munroe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you kintaro-kun for the link...

It's hard to know which university is the best for certain major.. I guess you need to do some browsing and go to every universitiy(s)'s homepage to get more info about the faculty and the staff... That's what I've been doing.. Sadly, most of the homepage provides very limited info in English... however, there are some homepage that's helpful...

http://sunsite.tus.ac.jp/asia/japan/edu/

here's a link that list out almost all university in Japan alphabetically... happy browsing ne' Victory! Peace!
von

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm....other than Tokyo Uni, Waseda Uni. isnt Kyoto Uni good as well?

how about hitotsubashi for economics?
kintaro_kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

von wrote:
Hmm....other than Tokyo Uni, Waseda Uni. isnt Kyoto Uni good as well?

how about hitotsubashi for economics?

kyoto is good, very good, in fact. going there? according to its site, hitotsu is top 5 in japan in econs.
von

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kintaro_kun wrote:

kyoto is good, very good, in fact. going there? according to its site, hitotsu is top 5 in japan in econs.

yes, hitotsubashi is strong in economics. i have a friend who is studying there and some graduated from kyoto.
kintaro_kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

is japan the place to be when considering engineering? does anyone know anything bout chuo university?
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Mainichi Daily News article Reply with quote Back to top

Sweaty, smelly, cramped commuters squashed into state of rail rage

"When I complained to another passenger because he'd stood on my foot, he turned around and whacked me," moans one male train traveler.

Another commuter adds: "This woman was squirming around uncomfortably, so a schoolboy swatted her over the head with a rolled-up newspaper."

Still another train user says: "When a blind person came onto the train with a guide dog, somebody else moaned about them being a nuisance for taking up so much space."

Those images beamed across the world of white-gloved conductors shoving commuters into already packed trains rarely fail to raise chuckles and mutters of "those wacky Japanese," but when you're packed into a carriage with thousands of other sweaty, smelly, pushy passengers, those jam-packed carriages cause an almost unbearable degree of stress, and that's before somebody farts.Anybody who's ever ridden a train in a Japanese city, especially during peak traffic periods, can attest that the reputation this country's denizens have acquired for politeness is somewhat without grounds.

But the survival-of-the-fittest mentality of train commuting in Japan means bullying of the weak, rage and lack of sense are basically staples of a commuter's life.

Few Japanese commuters enjoy the morning ride to work.

"When I stand next to somebody stinky, it almost makes me sick. There've been times when I had to get off the train I felt so bad," a 32-year-old government official tells Spa!

A real estate agent adds: "When I came to work one day, everybody was laughing at me. I didn't know why until I took off my suit and found that on the back there was the image of a face that looked something like a death mask.Somebody's make-up had rubbed off on my suit when she's was pushed up against me in the train."

Studies have showed that train travelers are subjected to rapid and enormous increases in stress levels when carriages reach 180 percent of capacity -- a common occurrence in Tokyo, where the average capacity of morning rush hour trains reaches 171 percent. Even among close friends, moving to within 15 centimeters of somebody else invades their private space and induces stress. It's unavoidable in Japan's packed trains to refrain from moving into that area.

"It's absolutely ridiculous if people don't think there's something wrong with this situation. Watching people on trains, I can see actions that clearly indicate an increase in stress levels. People sit down muttering to themselves, become more aggressive and argue more. Excessive sweating is also an indication that the nerves are frayed. Even train gropers, perhaps, could be affected by all the stress they're undergoing and lose control at the slightest pull of a trigger. In packed trains, conditions are ripe to turn so-called 'normal' people into the abnormal," Yoichi Maitada, a doctor and former head of the UFJ Bank health management center, tells Spa!

"Of course, there are also the physical ailments that need to be considered. Of course, there are those with chronic bowel syndrome who need to get off regularly to use the toilet, but other complaints felt by train commuters include anemia, nausea and headaches. In really severe cases, traveling on the trains could even result in panic attacks." (By Ryann Connell)

September 9, 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 163, 164, 165  Next
Page 29 of 165

Jump to: