FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Japanese Language Lessons!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahochaude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mudhalvan wrote:
Applaud i must congratulate the cast and crew members in producting waterboys 2 serial. i must admit that i have not yet seen waterboys movie but am sure it is very very good. i happen to catch the serial being aired in malaysia now and got hooked from the first episode without knowing the first movie waterboys. i have to admit that i have to follow the translation below english or malay but fall in love with the entire story line and especially Shiori Yazawa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the ever not giving up character and leader Eikichi Mizushima Bow i just saw the episode 11 and am kinda sad have to say good bye the next episode but hope the production team would find something on the next seasons. Shameful Cry i'm looking forward Satomi Ishihara and Hayato Ichihara and the ever smiling Akiyoshi Nakao to bring it to live again!!!!!!!!!

Satomi U ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best Wishes from ur fan in malaysia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take Care and GOod lucK in ALL ur UndErtakings!!!!!!!!! Victory! Peace!

Ummmm, dude.
Do you realize where you're posting your message?
This topic is totally unrelated to what you had to say. I understand that you're a "rookie" to the site, however a little 'work' by searching for the correct topic isn't all that hard.
FYI: You want to post about a topic, drama, actor, actress, whatever, please post accordingly.
Here you go...

Waterboys 2 thread: http://www.jdorama.com/viewtopic.4820.htm

Oh yeah, and it's drama, not a 'serial'. Wink

Welcome to the boards and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just want to ask you for your opinion, I got a japanese tutor to help me out (i'm working and i can't be commited to a college class due to my travel schedule). However, my tutor's english is very poor...do you think that will hinder me?

We were going over the verbs (ru vs. u-verbs), and she has no idea what i'm talking about, and then she start reading my book, and said she has never learn it this way??!!!!

THoughts??
supermidget

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

fayewolf wrote:
Just want to ask you for your opinion, I got a japanese tutor to help me out (i'm working and i can't be commited to a college class due to my travel schedule). However, my tutor's english is very poor...do you think that will hinder me?

We were going over the verbs (ru vs. u-verbs), and she has no idea what i'm talking about, and then she start reading my book, and said she has never learn it this way??!!!!

THoughts??

Don't be shocked about her not knowing about the things in your book. As is clear, Japanese people have learned their language when they were babies, infants children, and whenever. Without any given grammatical rules.

I'm sure nobody ever had to explain you the difference between: "a cow" and "the cow". You probably never wonder, but for Japanese this is a really difficult issue (they always mix up), I suppose they get extensive lessons about this at school.

Now suppose one of those students of English asks about 'the' and 'a', or starts pointing at some rules that a Japanese professor invented, I'd also say I've never learned it that way.

About Japanese people with poor english... The biggest problem is that you can not verify that your sentence was right (in meaning) - because it is impossible for them to translate it back to you. I remember times when I said some bad Japanese, which then got corrected, but the meaning was totally different from what I ment. So I explained what I wanted to say in English, but they couldn't understand me and I just had a hard time learning the thing in Japanese.

maybe you can focus on your pronounciation with her for now. As for explaining Japanese grammar, I really suggest you find a good book (or site Smile) or an English capable person (that knows the jpnz grammar well).

Anyways, peace Victory! Peace!

ps: I'm not sure what you mean by -ru and -u verbs either. If you just mean the basic endings of verbs, then you're missing some many. cause then there's also -su -tsu -mu -ku etcetera
fayewolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Supermiget,

Thanks for your reply!! You bought out soem good points!! It's almost the same situation for myself. I grew up in the states (well, sorta until i was 7), and moved to HK with y grandparents, and the kids in school were learning English grammar, and they always ask me how do i know when to use this and that, and all i could say was "coz it sounds right"....

Anyways, I agree that I should concentrate my pronounciation with her.. Thats in fact a great great great idea!!

Oh, my book goes over verb conjugation with -ru verb and u-verb first, e.g. taberu vs iku ( of course, i get confused when I see a verb that ends with -ru, that is acrtually a u-verb, but i figured that it has to be memorized, so I memorize the verb plus the -masu form, so I won't forget...) I hope you know what i'm talking about, otherwise I'm in deep shit trouble. Smile

Faye
supermidget

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

fayewolf wrote:
Hi Supermiget,

(...)

Oh, my book goes over verb conjugation with -ru verb and u-verb first, e.g. taberu vs iku ( of course, i get confused when I see a verb that ends with -ru, that is acrtually a u-verb, but i figured that it has to be memorized, so I memorize the verb plus the -masu form, so I won't forget...) I hope you know what i'm talking about, otherwise I'm in deep shit trouble. Smile

Faye

You're welcome Smile

-> I know what you're talking about Smile Remembering by also learning the -masu form is good I think, it's how I usually do it. It's a bit confusing at the beginning, but luckily this is about the only thing that "you just have to know" regularly. Well if you have any questions, we'll hear from you Smile Good luck learning Japanese Victory! Peace!
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

okay resident language experts vocabulary help

"sumebe-poi" no imi wa nan desu ka?
kokuou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
okay resident language experts vocabulary help

"sumebe-poi" no imi wa nan desu ka?

Hmmm... doesn't sound like any word that I have heard.
I checked my dictionary and it's not in there either.
Do you have the kanji for the word?

������
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kokuou wrote:

Hmmm... doesn't sound like any word that I have heard.
I checked my dictionary and it's not in there either.
Do you have the kanji for the word?

������

hmm...i heard it on a tv-variety show tsuyoshi dohmoto was asking yuko takeuchi a question and that was the active she used to describe a person

actually it's sumibi-poi hito.....i'll see if i they flashed the kanji on screen...i'd have to watch it again.
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

forgive my misspelling

it's actually the following, the kanji:

�y�Y�΁z [���݂�] (n) charcoal fire

i'm guessing sumibi-poi hito means a passionate/fiery person? i defer to somebody who actually knows what's up.
tabana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Japanese Women's Lexicon Reply with quote Back to top

A few new words from the Japanese Women's Lexicon posted on Mainichi Daily News originaly posted in the Sunday Mainichi.

Quote:

IPPAIYOKU (Plenty of Desires) -- is used to describe women who have developed an affinity for only a single designer label, with all their clothes and accessories being of the same brand, unlike the rainbow of choices most made in the money days of the late '80s and early '90s.

OKAME SAN (Masculine Woman) -- a woman who acts like a man.

KAKO BIJIN (Past Beauty) -- a woman who would have been called a beauty if she had been born in an earlier age. Kako Bijin tend, Sunday Mainichi says, to go on about how they would have been popular with guys if they had been born in the Heian Era (794-1194).

KESSHO OTOSHI TAKUSHII (Make-up Remover Taxi) -- a taxi offering a service where a beautician will have a woman remove her make-up. Many women, particularly in their 20s and 30s, are screaming out for a service like this, the weekly says.

KONDO UMU KEIKAKU (Pregnancy Now Plan) -- a play on the words for "condom" (kondomu) and "give birth" (kondo umu) used to describe how women over 35 deliberately have unprotected sex in the hope of conceiving.

3H (The Three Hs) -- stands for hada (skin), hana (nose) and ha (teeth) and express the widely held desire to make sure body hair doesn't stand out, the nose even slightly more prominent and teeth straighter.

TOIRE BIJITSUKAN (Toilet Art Gallery) -- used to describe beautifully decorated home toilets equipped with pleasant fragrances and packed with plenty of reading materials. Toire Bijitsukan are apparently wildly popular among single women in their 30s.

NAKAYOSHI NINPU (Buddy Pregnancy) -- a trend where women deliberately get pregnant at the same time as a friend so they can go through the process together.

BOINRYOKU (Maternal Instinct Power) -- a conjunction of mother (bo) and boldness (goin) used to describe how women can use their maternal instincts and the power of motherhood to break through the patriarchal hold over society.

MINEKO KON (Mineko Marriage) -- named after singer Mineko Nishikawa, who gave up her career after marrying a guy living in a remote island, and used to describe women who forfeit glitzy lives in the city in favor of a quiet life married to somebody from the country.

MEMORIARU SEKUSURESU (Memorial Sexless) -- a term used for normally sexless couples who decide to go in for a little bit of slap and tickle on momentous occasions, such as anniversaries or to mark such occasions as their team winning a sports championship.

YUBISAKI BIJIN (Fingertip Beauty) -- a woman who pays an enormous amount of attention to her fingers, applying flamboyant nail polish or nail art.

RIKONMIMI NENZO (Divorce Talk Generation) -- those women inspired to consider ending a marriage because they hear a lot of talk about how much happier their friends have become since getting a divorce. Mainly describes women in their late 30s.

RENNAI KONENKI (Love Menopause) -- the age when women's sex drive starts to decline and they forget about things like love. The rennai konenki usually starts around 33, with one in four women in their 30s losing their libido and one in three becoming disinterested in romance.

WAKABAASAN (Young Grandmother) -- women who've given up on the idea of marriage, but not childbirth, according to Sunday Mainichi. They apparently stand out in contrast to Young Mamas women who have children at an early age and instead accept the idea of growing old while they're still young. They're apparently susceptible to the idea of adoption or marrying divorced men with children. (By Ryann Connell)

KESSHO OTOSHI TAKUSHII Head Scratch
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:

�y�Y�΁z [���݂�] (n) charcoal fire

i'm guessing sumibi-poi hito means a passionate/fiery person? i defer to somebody who actually knows what's up.

still somewhat curious about this....do any of the resident experts know the meaning or usage of this adjective here "sumibi-poi?"
kokuou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:

still somewhat curious about this....do any of the resident experts know the meaning or usage of this adjective here "sumibi-poi?"

Hmm... I've never heard this before, so I'd have to actually hear it in context to be able to know what the speaker is saying.
He could be commenting on his looks, his personality, or any number of things. Do you have the actual sentence or phrase it appeared in?

������
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kokuou wrote:

Hmm... I've never heard this before, so I'd have to actually hear it in context to be able to know what the speaker is saying.
He could be commenting on his looks, his personality, or any number of things. Do you have the actual sentence or phrase it appeared in?

������

sorry not handy at the moment...i DO appreciate your reply though....sincerely....let me try to dig up the actual phrase as you mentioned then you can contextualize the word.....

thanks expert! this thread is like a dear abby column for the language impaired.....and i'm one of them!
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kokuou wrote:

������

thanks for your help and patience...well here's a link with the a video clip of the discussion...Yuko Takeuchi and Tsuyoshi Dohmoto...it's a minute long and about 5 MB...the audio came out wack in that the voices are sped up but you'll be able to discern what's being said. your help is appreciated.... Bow

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SKS09XNP90UZ2LBUT1V2SJNIT

Last edited by Tu_triky on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dochira

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:

thanks for your help and patience...well here's a link with the a video clip of the discussion...Yuko Takeuchi and Tsuyoshi Dohmoto...it's a minute long and about 5 MB...the audio came out wack in that the voices are sped up but you'll be able to discern what's being said. you're help is appreciated.... Bow

Just checking, was "Direct Stream Copy" selected for both video and audio?
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dochira wrote:

Just checking, was "Direct Stream Copy" selected for both video and audio?

i actually had already downloaded and used this other utility before you replied tomy query....

i used this program called splitmovie 1.0
kokuou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:

thanks for your help and patience...well here's a link with the a video clip of the discussion...Yuko Takeuchi and Tsuyoshi Dohmoto...it's a minute long and about 5 MB...the audio came out wack in that the voices are sped up but you'll be able to discern what's being said. your help is appreciated.... Bow

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SKS09XNP90UZ2LBUT1V2SJNIT

Thanks! Beaten

I did look over it, and in the video, when Takeuchi Yuko is asked by Dohmoto Tsuyoshi what her type is, she replies with this:

�Y�΂��ۂ��l

(rough translation: someone coal-fire-ish)

Dohmoto is even confused with the term, as you can se when he says:

�Y�΂��ۂ��l�H

Indicating that it's probably a metaphor that she's made up herself.
Just like if someone aske me what my type is and i said:

�����l���ۂ��l

(someone like the moon)

Now, I could, in my heart of hearts, mean, "someone who is bright, humble, and pure," but someone else may interpret it to mean something else like, "big, round, and only comes out at night."

Okay, so it's a bad comparison, but seriously, I have NO idea (nor did Dohmoto) what she's referring to here.
Like you said, she might be referring to someone who is "warm, passionate, and doesn't give up."

Oh, and when Dohmoto says:

�����闢�H

after that, it's a play on words called a �_�W����, just in case you were wondering. They sound similar, but are completely unrelated, which makes it funny (well, to ME anyway Beaten )

Anywho, I'm going to bed for real this time.

���₷��

������
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kokuou wrote:

Thanks! Beaten

I did look over it, and in the video, when Takeuchi Yuko is asked by Dohmoto Tsuyoshi what her type is, she replies with this:

�Y�΂��ۂ��l

(rough translation: someone coal-fire-ish)

Dohmoto is even confused with the term, as you can se when he says:

�Y�΂��ۂ��l�H

Indicating that it's probably a metaphor that she's made up herself.
Just like if someone aske me what my type is and i said:

�����l���ۂ��l

(someone like the moon)

Now, I could, in my heart of hearts, mean, "someone who is bright, humble, and pure," but someone else may interpret it to mean something else like, "big, round, and only comes out at night."

Okay, so it's a bad comparison, but seriously, I have NO idea (nor did Dohmoto) what she's referring to here.
Like you said, she might be referring to someone who is "warm, passionate, and doesn't give up."

Oh, and when Dohmoto says:

�����闢�H

after that, it's a play on words called a �_�W����, just in case you were wondering. They sound similar, but are completely unrelated, which makes it funny (well, to ME anyway Beaten )

Anywho, I'm going to bed for real this time.

���₷��

������

���肪�Ƃ��������܂�
���Ȃ��̂��‚߂�

wow, thanks for the lengthy explanation....i'm much obliged...i get your explanation...so the meaning could be highly subjective...that's why dohmoto was at a loss there....

you're really good at explaning something so idiomatic! thanks again for taking the time out to watch the clip and explain Smile
supermidget

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i have a question which i could probably find in my grammar explanation of my textbook but usually they don't explain so well.

what does the expression �u���X�v�ɂ‚��� mean?
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

supermidget wrote:
i have a question which i could probably find in my grammar explanation of my textbook but usually they don't explain so well.

what does the expression �u���X�v�ɂ‚��� mean?

[�ɂ‚���] (exp) concerning/along/under/per

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: