FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
My name in Japanese
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamcham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: My name in Japanese Reply with quote Back to top

So I think it'd be cool to adopt a real Japanese name(using Kanji).

I know how to write my name in Katakana, but I don't really want that.

My first name can mean either "powerful ruler" or "brave one".
My last name means "dove".

Can someone sugggest a name given those meanings?

Douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
KouSeiya315

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure how much I can help you, but I'll try until someone else can take over hehe

Hato - �� (dove) *This also means pigeon, LOL.

Um, as for a first name.....I'm not good at this. The only thing I could think of was "bravery" which is �E�C (yuuki). I have no idea if those characters are commonly used for the name but those characters reflect that meaning. I don't know what other possibilities there are, as I'm not fluent in Japanese. Also if they are used for the name Yuuki, I don't know if either is strictly male or female, or if there is no distinction. I've heard Yuki or Yuuki as names for guys, but they could have been nicknames and/or different kanji. Good luck Smile
Rhythm&Police

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hato Isamu could be Japanese version for your name.

Hato means a dove and Isamu is a common Japanese male name meaning bravery.

But if you want more Japanese family name, I will suggest Hatoyama instead of Hato.

Hatoyama means a mountain of dove and it's kinda common Japanese family name. Just Hato will be a little akward.
lovelessemotion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

so does that mean that if ur name doesn't mean anything u can't have one? ...like say john or jason or my name diego...they don't mean anything.....so we couldn't have a kanji name? Crazy
100C

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Naturalization foreigners use the character of a similar sound as a Japanese name in many cases .
So, What about �o�h��. Smile
This is pronounced as 'de-ei-go'.

�o: appear,come,forth;leave,depart
�h: prosper,flourish,thrive;flower;shine;look attractive
��: �� is the character well attached to the last of a boy's name.
�@�@The last of SMAP's Shingo Katori's(����T��) first name is also ��.

GoodNight Sleep
lovelessemotion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! that sounds great! Jumpie Jumpie
BBnomiumOxide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

can anyone help me with mines? lol My name is BaiYi (Chinese) Anyway to convert?
chamcham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, lovelessemotion.
I have news for you. Basically, almost all names mean something.
It's just that most Westerners usually don't know that.

For instance

http://www.behindthename.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?terms=john
http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-names-j.htm

Look at these sites for the meaning of "John" or "Jason"

There are many other sites for looking up the meaning of your name. I'm too busy now since I need to finish up a paper. But as soon as I'm done, I'll post more links.
arnel98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yup, i found my name's meaning on a baby name dictionary online.
It means eagle so I can use the kanji for eagle.

EDIT: Found this one through google.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

arnel98 wrote:
yup, i found my name's meaning on a baby name dictionary online.
It means eagle so I can use the kanji for eagle.

EDIT: Found this one through google.

Hey arnel. That's a cool av you have there. Good

Strange question: I wonder how they would translate stormhammer?

-Stormhammer-
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

does anyone know the meaning of my name.. if i'm not wrong it shouldbe scandinavian.. but i don't really know the actual meaning.. can arnel or anyone help.. my name is Velda.. thanks..!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
arnel98

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

stormhammer wrote:

Hey arnel. That's a cool av you have there. Good

Strange question: I wonder how they would translate stormhammer?

-Stormhammer-

i'm not literate in nippongo so should check others what would be the kanji name for storm and hammer. That is if u want it in kanji. Usually, foreign words are written using katakana. Check the 'typing in japanese' thread for the typing in katakana link.

arashinokoto wrote:

does anyone know the meaning of my name.. if i'm not wrong it shouldbe scandinavian.. but i don't really know the actual meaning.. can arnel or anyone help.. my name is Velda.. thanks..!

Well, google says ur name means rule or power. So i guess u need to know what's the kanji for that which i dont know. Sweat In katakana, ur name would be veruda. Anyway, as i mentioned to stormhammer, check the typing in japanese thread for the links f u want it in katakana. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: name in japanese Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all.....

I found a cool website on your names in kanji/katakana... take a look and revell in it Smile

http://www.takase.com/Names/NameInJapanese.htm
Uchiha Potato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone seen that Japanese movie Ping Pong? Well one of the main characters names was Tsukimoto. I thought that was a cool name to have. I thought to myself If im ever to adopt a japanese name it would be that. Anyone know what Tsukimoto means? Haha I hope it doesn't mean Gopher or anything.
M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lovelessemotion wrote:
so does that mean that if ur name doesn't mean anything u can't have one? ...like say john or jason or my name diego...they don't mean anything.....so we couldn't have a kanji name? Crazy

Takase is a good link to find your Japanese name for common English names like John and Jason.
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Uchiha Potato wrote:
Has anyone seen that Japanese movie Ping Pong? Well one of the main characters names was Tsukimoto. I thought that was a cool name to have. I thought to myself If im ever to adopt a japanese name it would be that. Anyone know what Tsukimoto means? Haha I hope it doesn't mean Gopher or anything.

tsukimoto is his surname.. like the other character hoshino.. one being the moon (=tsuki) while the other is the star (=hoshi).. what i can tell you is that tsuki means moon and moto.. well, i don't know what moto means.. it's only used in people's surnames and place names i guess..

by the way, thanks arnel for finding out my name.. rule or power..? wow.. that's difficult.. Sweat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

stormhammer..

storm is arashi!! haha.. Mr Green
stormhammer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

arashinokoto wrote:
stormhammer..

storm is arashi!! haha.. Mr Green

LOL. That's the first half handled at least. Big Grin

-Starhammer-
100C

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Uchiha Potato wrote:

Congratulations Big Grin It does'nt mean Gopher.

It is written with two Kanji characters - Tuki and Moto
Tuki means the Moon. Moto means the biginig; the origin; the source.

So,
The Origin; The Biginig; The Source of the Moon.

Of course, "Moto" has a meaning called 'a book', too. However, the meaning does not suit a name.
Milkchan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I checked that takasi site and my name in japanese is apparently miryokuteki. Could probably do with shortening Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: