jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Watanabe Ken
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Artistes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Anne's Dad seems to be doing okay:

Ken Watanabe nominated for Tony award

Ken Watanabe, Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical, The King and I.

Said Watanabe, "It is truly an honor to be recognized for my first role on an American stage. I couldn't have done it without everyone involved in "The King and I," particularly Bart Sher and Kelli O'Hara."

Applaud
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Anne's Dad seems to be doing okay:

Ken Watanabe nominated for Tony award

Ken Watanabe, Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical, The King and I.

Said Watanabe, "It is truly an honor to be recognized for my first role on an American stage. I couldn't have done it without everyone involved in "The King and I," particularly Bart Sher and Kelli O'Hara."

Applaud

Nice! Applaud Applaud Applaud
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just an update, he didn't win.

But his co-star Kelli O'Hara did win for Best Actress in a Musical. Applaud
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let's hope he beats it Fingers crossed

Ken Watanabe diagnosed with stomach cancer

TOKYO, Feb. 9, Kyodo

Japanese actor Ken Watanabe was diagnosed with an early-stage stomach cancer, his agent said Tuesday, adding the actor, who starred in a Broadway musical in 2015, has already undergone endoscopic surgery to remove it.

The 56-year-old actor released a comment seeking understanding for the postponement of his reappearance in the musical "The King and I" in New York.

Watanabe had been scheduled to star again in the musical beginning in March.

"I am preparing myself in earnest for the (Broadway) stage. I would like to ask for your understanding that the start of my performance in New York will be a little delayed."

The actor is currently recuperating at a hospital in Japan, the agent said. The cancer was detected in a medical checkup.

Watanabe has a history of overcoming leukemia, a type of cancer, and expanding his career abroad afterward.

In 1989, he was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, but he returned to acting the following year. In 2004, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Lord Katsumoto Moritsugu in the U.S. film "The Last Samurai."
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Let's hope he beats it Fingers crossed

+1. Fingers crossed
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like he did.

Ken Watanabe returns to Broadway after cancer surgery

Tokyo (AFP) - Ken Watanabe left Tokyo Saturday following successful treatment for cancer to return to New York where he is starring in the Broadway musical "The King and I".

Watanabe, star of "Last Samurai" -- for which he received an an Academy Award nomination -- "Inception" and Clint Eastwood's "Letters From Iwo Jima", underwent endoscopic surgery for stomach cancer last month and has since recovered well.

"I was in hospital only for four days and have begun working out," a smiling Watanabe told reporters at Tokyo's Narita airport ahead of his departure.

"I caused a lot of worries but now I can move forward and get down to new work and acting," the Oscar-nominated actor said.

"I want to start over by remotivating myself," he added.

The 56-year-old said he would resume his role in "The King and I" on March 17.

Thumbsup
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ken Watanabe's new film "Ikari" to be show at two international festivals

Watanabe Ken's new movie "Ikari" which will be shown in Japan from 17 September, will be exhibited during two international film festivals i.e. the 41st Toronto International Movie Festival and the 64th San Sebastian International Movie Festival.

For the Toronto film festival held in Canada between 8 and 18 September, the film will be shown in the special presentation category. Watanabe and Miyazaki Aoi who play father and daughter in the film, will be attending the premiere screening with the director Lee Sang-il on the 10th. As for the San Sebastian film festival held in Spain between 16 and 24 September, the movie will be participating in the competition category as the only Japanese entry. The premiere screening on 23 September will be attended by Watanabe and Lee.

Source: Yomiuri Hochi
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ken Watanabe to star in TBS New Year's drama special

Watanabe Ken will be starring in the upcoming TBS New Year drama SP "Shiawase no Kioku" (Memories of happiness) which will be shown at 9pm on 8 January.

The drama SP which is an original story by Oishi Shizuka, features Watanabe as a good-for-nothing father who chalked up huge debts due to his failed business thus leading to his divorce and walking out of his family 5 years ago. However, he returns suddenly to his home without notice which causes confusion and disruption to the lives of his ex-wife (Asou Yumi) and two daughters (Kitagawa Keiko & Nikaidou Fumi). Especially for his elder daughter who had supported the family in her father's absence, she is especially resistant to her father's presence while his younger daughter is secretly happy about it.

Filming is already in progress and co-stars include Chiba Yudai, Miura Takahiro, Yamazaki Shigenori and Sugawara Daikichi.

Source: Sponichi
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ken Watanabe to appear in 2018 Taiga drama "Segodon"

Watanabe Ken will be playing Shimazu Nariakira which marks his first appearance in a Taiga since the 2001 Taiga "Hojo Tokimune".

He was also the lead in the 1987 Taiga "Dokuganryuu Masamune". As such, Watanabe commented that his foundation as an actor was built from his experience in a Taiga drama so this is like an opportunity for him to repay a debt of gratitude. Shimazu was the 28th generation head of the family and known to be smart and knowledgeable. He saw the potential in Saigo when the latter was just a poor and lowly samurai and became Saigo's lifelong teacher.

Source: Oricon
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ken Watanabe and Kaho Minami finalize their divorce

Ken Watanabe and Kaho Minami have announced that they have divorced.

In a fax, Watanabe's agency said, "This is an announcement regarding our agency's Watanabe Ken. We would like to announce that divorce has been finalized between Minami Kaho and Watanabe."

Minami has tweeted, "At this time I would like to announce that we have settled on a divorce. It's been sixteen years since we met, and I have learned a lot. This past year I was given time to reflect on my way of living. From now on, I hope to move forward with a clear smile. Please continue to support me."

In March of last year, it was reported that Watanabe was having an affair with a woman 21 years his junior. The following July, he held a press conference and apologized for having the affair. At that time, he said he would work to mend his relationship with Minami.

Source: Oricon
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kaho Minami said:
Quote:
It's been sixteen years since we met, and I have learned a lot.

Boy, there's a cryptic line if ever I heard one. Wink

Ken Watanabe said:
Quote:
Watanabe was having an affair with a woman 21 years his junior. The following July, he held a press conference and apologized for having the affair. At that time, he said he would work to mend his relationship with Minami.

Apparently, didn't work hard enough. Shake Head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Artistes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: