jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Smile
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tofuuuuu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Smile Reply with quote Back to top

MatsuJun, Gakky pair up for "Smile"
Thu, February 12, 2009 (1:53am EST) - Tokyograph

Jun Matsumoto and Yui Aragaki will co-star in a new TBS drama series titled "Smile." Takayuki Takuma ("Hana Yori Dango") is handling the script, though he is using his real name rather than his usual pen name of Mikio Satake.

Matsumoto plays a half-Filipino whose father has died and mother has disappeared. Despite his misfortune and the issues he deals with, such as race, he lives his life positively with a constant smile.

Similarly, Aragaki plays a young woman living cheerfully despite losing her ability to speak due to an accident. Her character is said to be modeled after a real actress in the theatrical troupe that Takuma runs.

The supporting cast includes Kiichi Nakai as a lawyer who watches over Matsumoto and Aragaki.

"Smile" will air on Friday nights at 10:00pm, starting in April.

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-4418

Besides the usual derogatory comments thrown at Matsujun, there are also those who are quite apprehensive with the way Filipinos will be depicted in the drama. Here are some interesting comments addressing a fan concern on the sensitive subject taken from here:

Quote:
x817: When I heard that Jun's character was going to be half-Filipino, I cringed. Being a Fil-Am myself, I'm dreading this drama because it's not a secret that for the most part, Japanese people look down on Filipinos or even other Asians in general. It's a touchy subject and I hope they'll be sensitive in portraying our people. Somehow I think that they chose his character to be half-Filipino than another Asian ethnicity because they probably think that offending or stepping on Filipinos won't be as big a deal as say, offending the Koreans or Chinese especially since the East Asians patronize each other's entertainment. Sorry if I'm making generalizations but that's practically the truth without any sugarcoating.
reply by dj_erisu: But isn't the point of stressing his race to shed some light on the racism that goes on in Japan. I mean, I'm sure they're not doing it as some kind of mean joke. To make him half-filipino and then not show the hardships that any half-anything would go through in Japan seems kind of pointless. That is, afterall, probably the point of the drama.
Like in America, there are countless movies on black or gay rights and about how those people were and still are treated... but it's so people can see the error of it, not to make it a joke.

coffee_hanjan: Considering the fact that even half-Koreans are ostracized in Japan, I think it's going to show up in a story about a half-Filipino character.
But if it gets you down, try to think of it this way- wouldn't it be much more insulting if they didn't touch on the issue at all? By bringing up the race issue I think those making the drama are probably trying to point out that it's a societal problem that needs to be fixed, or at least dealt with.
I think that's a better way to look at it, instead of "they're making Filipinos out to be bad." But then again that's just my opinion.

hontowa: Filipino-Japanese mixed people are actually becoming a lot more common in Japan today. When I studied abroad in 2007, my host mother was half filipino. Unfortunately, racism is a huge issue in Japan. It can be very difficult to be a Filipino or a Filipino mix living there, partly because of some stereotypes. Filipinos in Japan are kind of like hispanics (particularly Mexicans) in the United States - many of them originally came over illegally and took low-wage jobs, like being maids, gardeners, trash collectors, etc. There was even a trend for a while where a lot of Japanese farm men would seek out Filipino wives because Japanese women were becoming more interested in moving to the city and not being housewives/farm labor. Filipino women, like many other Asian immigrant women in Japan, have had to resort to working in the sex industry to make money. So Filipinos unfortunately been stereotyped as low class. Filipinos also typically have darker skin, and the Japanese see light skin as much more beautiful. These could be the sort of issues they look at in the drama.
OR, judging by the writer, it could just be another cheesy love drama. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the whole half-Filipino thing is there so that Jun's character has an issue to deal with (i.e. racism) so he can identify with the mute girl he falls in love with - they're both outcasts in society and they overcome their problems together.

ha_na_bi: Here are some articles that could bring to light as to why his character had to be a half-Filipino and half-Japanese:

http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthread.php?t=64338
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/breakingnews/view/20080604-140716/UPDATE-Japan-top-court-strikes-down-nationality-law
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/member/member.html?fl20050719zg.htm
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20081114a1.html

I think they are going to stress the issue of his citizenship with his mother gone missing and all which would mean he would only be receiving the citizenship of his dead father. It would make for a very interesting drama I have to say.

In my opinion, we'll just have to wait and see how wisely they will handle it. I just find these discussions fascinating.
marspeach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm more apprehensive about the two main actors, Matsumoto Jun and Aragaki Yui, than the storyline.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yup, i know. saw your comment/s Smile
bmwracer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

marspeach wrote:
I'm more apprehensive about the two main actors, Matsumoto Jun and Aragaki Yui, than the storyline.

Regardless, it'll be a ratings winner, I'll bet. Shake Head
WD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know about MatsuJun just yet, but I'm pretty sure that Aragaki Yui can't convince me. Heck, she has never been able to convince in everything she has done before. Even her performance in the overhyped Koizora is just that, overhyped and overrated (well, the whole thing about the movie was overrated, and this includes Miura Haruma).

I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but I will definitely try to check this one out.

colorbar credits to nannandesuka@LJ
tofuuuuu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

a short promo clip of Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97AwHfETIW8

back ground song "Let it be"
suzzy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tofuuuuu wrote:
a short promo clip of Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97AwHfETIW8

back ground song "Let it be"
weird hehe
but it dodn't cath my interest to much i have to think about this one( because of the trailer ) Bonk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

suzzy wrote:
weird hehe
but it dodn't cath my interest to much i have to think about this one( because of the trailer ) Bonk

I love the use of "let it be" for this drama promo. Using a well known song addressing social issues promises something profound. I hope it'll do well.

Nakai Kiichi looking angsty looks quite appealing while Jun smile is freaky Bonk. Gakki tearing up was beautiful ^^
tofuuuuu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yey! not an Arashi theme song! I may not need to buy another single!

Shiina does new solo single for "Smile"
Tokyograph. Mon, March 16, 2009 (12:53am EDT)

Ringo Shiina is back with her first solo single in roughly five years. Titled "Ariamaru Tomi," the song will go on sale May 27, which is the anniversary of her debut single "Koufukuron" back in 1998.

"Ariamaru Tomi" is being used as the theme song for the TBS drama "Smile," starring Jun Matsumoto and Yui Aragaki. The series begins on April 17.
Takoyama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds interesting so I'll check it out. I'm still yet to be impressed with Matsujun's acting more so with Gacky. Ohno and Nino seem to be better acters out the Arashi group imo.
tofuuuuu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Takoyama wrote:
This sounds interesting so I'll check it out. I'm still yet to be impressed with Matsujun's acting more so with Gacky. Ohno and Nino seem to be better acters out the Arashi group imo.

I prefer Nino & Ohno acting too but Jun's exotic looks fits the role. He'll work hard at it (as always) to make up for his lack in acting talent. I find him very passionate about acting and it shows in some brilliant scenes but he do need to learn not to overact though.

I'm neutral with Gakki. I only saw her in MBMH, Dragon Zakura and in that really cute Pokki cm. Dunno what to expect from her but she's pleasant to look at.

The idea for this drama sounds like it can be made into an interesting movie.
shii-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

this one i want to watch!!!
hhahhs, looks like some kind of typical shoujo manga.
sw33t_laydee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just reading the synopsis makes me skeptical about how this drama will be portrayed however, just like the US, a minority group will be looked down upon by a majority. Nevertheless, I think when this drama starts airing, the audience should be open to the message that the writers and director are trying to send.

Hopefully everyone will give this drama a chance. It tends to be the though-provoking and "thinking outside of the box" dramas that get my attention.

Also, I hope the actors in this drama portray the Filipino culture accurately and tastefully.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sw33t_laydee wrote:

Also, I hope the actors in this drama portray the Filipino culture accurately and tastefully.

i totally agree... i hope they won't portray Filipinos as low profile people here...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

nippon addict wrote:

i totally agree... i hope they won't portray Filipinos as low profile people here...

I suggest you read through the comments here: http://community.livejournal.com/arashi_on/1366734.html

I think they are trying to address the identity of "half-raced" Japanese. There are not a lot of "gaijin" or halfs portrayed as the lead character in Japanese dramas so SMILE certainly intrigued me.
crimson_wings9999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The plot synopsis really isn't interesting (well so was Bara no nai Hanaya),, Im gonna check this thing out only for the Shiina Ringo Theme song
And i'm gonna stop watching immediately if Jun Matsumoto tries to speak
tagalog (I just really find it awkward when foreign words are spoken in japanese dramas)
nippon addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ u have a point there...
he might speak "tagarog" (filipino counterpart of Engrish) Mr Green

but maybe the bloggers are right... they might have chosen half-Filipino because they think its ok to step on us... well, think twice, look what happened to that Tsip Chao guy...

some Filipinos didn't accept his apologies and scolded him face-to-face

and maybe if this drama really steps on our race... i'll bet the Filipinos will have very negative reactions about this drama...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Smile 30s CM with Shiina Ringo new song as the bgm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kFdU9z6N38
natsukoi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey. Have you seen the YouTube links of Smile's CMs? Jun spoke Tagalog on the last few scenes. He said, "Hindi ako, kayo." (It's not me, you are.)

If you would like to check the CM out, visit here and try to listen to Jun during the last few scenes. Just sharing. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loJBhBOgeSk&feature=player_embedded
nippon addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol! i also heard it! Bonk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: