jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Food, Food, and More Food Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 1259, 1260, 1261  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Never heard of it until I saw this video, guess I'm not trendy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crEZVLhWJpo
shin2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Never heard of it until I saw this video, guess I'm not trendy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crEZVLhWJpo

Poke has been around forever (well, at least in Hawaii). When I was a kid many decades ago, it was either homemade or sold at fish markets; don't recall it being on any restaurant menus.

Nowadays there are scores and scores of variations of poke. The traditional one is still my favorite: ahi tuna, limu (seaweed), sesame oil, and green onions.

Besides Hawaii, I've had really good poke in Vegas (lots of expatriates from the islands) and, believe it or not, in Colorado.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've never understood why people take pictures of their food either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5NmmdUbI3Q
shin2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Had my first experience with kaiten zushi over the weekend. It had computer touch pads at every table and a slot to drop your plates. I was surprised at how good the quality of sushi was. The menu had a nice variety. They even had hamachi kama which is a favorite of mine. I ordered it, and it was tasty. And you can't beat the prices--sushi was 2.25 per plate; the kama was 4.80.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shin2 wrote:
Had my first experience with kaiten zushi over the weekend. It had computer touch pads at every table and a slot to drop your plates. I was surprised at how good the quality of sushi was. The menu had a nice variety. They even had hamachi kama which is a favorite of mine. I ordered it, and it was tasty. And you can't beat the prices--sushi was 2.25 per plate; the kama was 4.80.

Where is this place located?
dochira

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

$2.25/plate? Sounds like Kula to me. Smile
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dochira wrote:
$2.25/plate? Sounds like Kula to me. Smile

If so, that's practically down the street from me... Guess I need to check it out.
shin2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Kula sushi at the Laguna Hills Mall in Orange County. I was told not all of the Kula restaurants have the touch pads and plate slots--I don't know if that's true or not.
dochira

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's true. The new location in Cupertino has the touch screen and plate slot as well. But the Little Tokyo location didn't have it the last time I was there.

Edit: I think the Torrance location was upgraded as well.
Eve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow!
I'm jealous of your sushi choices. Beaten

Hi all,

Hope youve been well.

Check out my drama trade list: OMG http://www.freewebs.com/evendrama/
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Evie sighting! w00t!
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Filipino word for "thin" or "skinny" is "payat". Which you may not be after reading this: http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-filipino-cuisine-20170511-story.html
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Today is the 80th anniversary of the official state food of Hawaii, SPAM:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpsfBsN_Dg
maxcriden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Today is the 80th anniversary of the official state food of Hawaii, SPAM:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpsfBsN_Dg

Spam is pretty good! I like it in eggs or especially spam musubi. Haven't had it in years, though.
junny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been occasionally catching episodes of NHK's Trails to Tsukiji, and today's was on sardines (iwashi). Usually we think of sardines as the canned stuff, and I've never liked that. But the sardine dishes featured in the episode looked so awesome, I love how chefs can get so creative with such a humble fish. The episode also featured how sardines are caught - apparently there's a law that you can only catch sardines between midnight and 8am, so that there is no overfishing.

Recent episodes I've seen also featured ume and octopus.

Here's the link if anyone's interested: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/tsukiji/

blog
shin2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:

Spam is a very versatile meat; it can be thrown into anything: with ramen (or saimin if you're in Hawaii), in omelettes, and as part of stir fry are some popular ones. Of course the king of spam dishes is spam musubi.

There are now many flavored types of spam (I prefer the spam lite version, with the original taste but less sodium). There's even spam flavored macadamia nuts. One of the more recent flavored spams is Portuguese sausage flavored spam. That one is only sold in Hawaii. Why only Hawaii? Because Portuguese sausage is the most popular sausage in Hawaii.
shin2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Re: Trails to Tsukiji.

Like that show a lot. Anything sold there can be a subject for an episode: sea food, vegetables, fruit, etc.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NHK has a show called "Lunch On". Today they were in Okinawa and showed something called onisasa, basically a rice ball with chicken: https://japantoday.com/category/features/food/ishigakis-specialty-snack-food-making-waves-across-japan

Another excuse for going to Okinawa. Big Grin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 1259, 1260, 1261  Next
Page 1260 of 1261

Jump to: